Learn lighting and posing in Singapore.
4 sessions, 2 hours each, S$450 (includes model & studio fees)
Good posing, strong rapport, clear communication and great lighting are just some of the key ingredients to a good studio portrait.
Although lighting setups are everywhere, not everyone understands why a light was placed in a certain position or aimed at a particular angle. Copying setups without a strong understanding of the hows and whys often results in disappointing portraits.
By giving you 5 out of 8 hours of hands-on training with in-class projects and a final model shoot, our Studio Portraiture workshop aims to equip you with a strong foundation in two key areas:
- lighting concepts so you’d be able to modify an existing setup to achieve your own creative ideas, troubleshoot lighting problems, and create your own setups that others will be wanting to follow,
- posing, directing and communication techniques that help to make your model look as good as possible
All studio lessons take place at our partner studio located in central Singapore near Clarke Quay and City Hall.
In Studio Portraiture, you spend 5 out of 8 hours of your workshop setting up lights, making adjustments to improve your setup, shooting in-class portraiture projects, and putting all that you’ve learnt into a final model shoot. By the end of it, you would:
- be able to handle a shoot on your own in any studio environment,
- know how to fully utilise a studio environment, its lighting supports and modifiers,
- know what to look out for in a good studio portrait, and how to maximise your number of keepers,
- be proficient with various light modifiers from softbox to reflector to snoot to achieve your desired creative direction,
- be able to troubleshoot lighting problems on your own,
- have a strong understanding of lighting concepts to be able to get the job done with minimal equipment (and how you can do all of what you’ve learnt at home too),
- learn about the classic portraiture lighting setups, their strengths and weaknesses, and how to modify from there to your liking,
- have hands-on experience as an art director, photographer and lighting assistant,
- have planned, executed and shot at least two different portraiture projects
- know what flatters a woman and a man, and how to make them look good in your portraits,
- and most importantly, have lots of fun!
We keep our class small (4 persons max) so you can be sure you’ll get individual attention from our instructors.
|Lesson details||Topics covered and learning objectives|
One Light, Multiple Lights
Participants must bring their own camera (DSLR or compact with manual exposure modes). A tripod and laptop is highly recommended for this workshop.
January 2015 Class (Weekdays)
- 5 January 2015, 7.30–9.30pm
- 6 January 2015, 7.30–9.30pm
- 7 January 2015, 7.30–9.30pm
- 9 January 2015, 7.30–9.30pm
November 2014 Class (Weekdays)(FULL)
- 10 November 2014, 7.30–9.30pm
- 11 November 2014, 7.30–9.30pm
- 12 November 2014, 7.30–9.30pm
- 14 November 2014, 7.30–9.30pm
Promotions & Discounts
Early Bird Promotion — $10 off
Sign up and make payment at least one month before the commencement date to enjoy $10 off your course fee.
Bring-a-friend Promotion — $10 off
Bring a friend along and enjoy $10 off your course fee.
Phocus Student Card — $10 off
Students of Phocus Academy with a valid student card enjoy $10 off the course fee.
Sign up for Studio Portraiture